Thursday, April 3, 2014

#98 HANK SMALL



FAVORITE BRAVES PLAYERS OF THE 1970'S 
#98 HANK SMALL
ATLANTA BRAVES 1978

Legendary Braves broadcaster Ernie Johnson was always big on reporting on how the Braves farm teams were doing during Braves games, especially if someone with local ties was involved. In 1978, I heard a lot about how Atlanta native Hank Small hit 25 homers and 101 RBI's at Richmond and seemed a sure bet to make the team next year. I remember when he was called up late in the year and went 0-4. I believe he did hit a ball that went to the warning track, but was caught...He never played in the majors again. If that ball had gone out, would he have gotten another chance? Nobody knows. I think it's rather sad that Hank never got another shot at the majors, but at least I can say I watched every major league at-bat Hank Small ever had on TV.

Hank Small died in 2010 at the age of 56.

No comments:

Post a Comment