Tuesday, May 20, 2014

#51 DICK ALLEN


FAVORITE BRAVES PLAYERS OF THE 1970'S
#51 DICK ALLEN 
ATLANTA BRAVES ?

This is pretty sad. I rated my 51st favorite Braves player of the decade as a player who never even played for the team. Obviously, the card above is a fake. 

The super cool Dick "Richie" Allen had been a star for years with several teams. In my memory, he had an MVP season with the White Sox in 1972 and led the AL in home runs in 1974. The often troublesome Allen was sold to the  Braves after the 1974 season. I was so excited! Other than Hank Aaron, I thought he was probably the best slugger out there (Now this was the opinion of a 12-year old). However, my excitement waned when Allen decided he would rather retire than play with the Braves.  Well, it was a nice dream while it lasted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment