Sunday, May 18, 2014

#53 NORM MILLER/JOE NOLAN


FAVORITE BRAVES PLAYERS OF THE 1970'S
#53 NORM MILLER
ATLANTA BRAVES 1973-1974
&
JOE NOLAN
ATLANTA BRAVES 1975, 1977-1980

Norm and Joe share this ranking because there is a retrospective tendency for me to get them mixed up. 

Both spent their Brave careers as pinch hitters.

Norm was actually only 10 for 60 at the plate during his Brave career. He did have a pinch hit homerun  that started a winning rally in San Francisco off John D'Acquisto on May 21, 1974. That was about it for highlights for his Brave career. In retrospect, I rated him too highly, but maybe I just like the  smirk on his 1974 Topps card.

Backup catcher Joe Nolan did a bit more during his Brave career than Norm did with 136 hits during his 4 plus year career with the Braves. Career Brave highlight may have been two home runs against Steve Rogers and Montreal on July 28, 1978.

He also waved me off during fan appreciation day when I was filming him with my movie camera.
No hard feelings, Joe.



No comments:

Post a Comment