Thursday, December 11, 2014

MILT PAPPAS

ALPHABETIC LIST OF
THE 50 BRAVES PLAYERS OF THE 1970'S
WHO DIDN'T MAKE MY ORIGINAL 100 FAVORITE PLAYER LIST

#41 MILT PAPPAS
ATLANTA BRAVES 1969-1970



There are a lot of players that played on several teams and made one brief stop in Atlanta that I still consider Braves (Examples-Felix Millan is a Brave not a Met, Ron Reed is a Brave, not a Phillie, Gary Matthews is a Brave, not a Giant, Phillie or Cub). But I got to admit, I think of Milt Pappas as more of a Cub than anything (Even though a majority of his lifetime wins came for Baltimore). Milt had sixteen years of double digit wins on his way to a career total of 209. His best Brave game and one of only two wins he had in an Atlanta uniform during the 70's was a complete game 4-2 win over Juan Marichal and the Giants on May 19, 1970. He was traded to the Cubs about a month later.

His two innings of work for the Braves in the 1969 playoffs was the only post season appearance Milt made during his seventeen year career.

Perhaps if his 1970 card had been a lower number
I might have had one in my possession and thought
of Milt as a Brave.

But the fact that his 1971 card seemed to be in
every pack sealed his impression on me forever
as a Cub.

2 comments:

  1. I saw him lose to Juan Marichal in the first game of a doubleheader in 1969.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen Marichal's name pop up quite a bit since I've been doing this blog.

    ReplyDelete