Monday, July 7, 2014

#3 RALPH GARR

FAVORITE BRAVES PLAYERS OF THE 1970'S
#3 RALPH GARR
ATLANTA BRAVES 1968-1975

I remember going to a shoe store (I think) in 1972 (I think) to meet and get the autographs of Ralph Garr and Cecil Upshaw of the Braves. I remember Upshaw was a no-show, but I did get to meet and get a signature from Ralph "The Road Runner" Garr. Ralph had a great year his first year with the Braves, hitting .342 and finishing second in batting that year. It was also the first full year I followed baseball, so it obviously had an impact on a statistic loving eight-year-old.

Ralph could hit. In fact, he tried to hit everything. His on-base percentage wasn't much higher than his batting average, but no matter. He also had the odd batting style of bailing out before he swung the bat. But it worked. I mention again, he could hit. In 1974, he won the batting title hitting .353 and leading the league in hits and triples. He fell off a bit in 1975 and was traded to the White Sox the following year for Ken Henderson. It wasn't the best trade for the Braves, though he never had another year as good as he had for the Braves in 1974.

I wish I could say I still had Ralph's autograph, but I just don't know what happened to it.




No comments:

Post a Comment