Wednesday, November 5, 2014

BOB BEALL

ALPHABETIC LIST OF THE
50 BRAVES PLAYERS OF THE 1970'S
WHO DIDN'T MAKE MY ORIGINAL 
100 FAVORITE PLAYER LIST

#5 BOB BEALL
ATLANTA BRAVES 1975, 1978-1979

I felt kind of bad that I left Bob Beall off my original 100 list even though he really only had any playing time at all in 1978. He had 45 of his career 54 hits that year as well as his only home run, a pinch hit job against Silvio Martinez of the Cardinals on August 26, 1978. I remember during the times he played first, he seemed awfully small for the position, though Baseball Reference lists him at a very generous 5'11. I also remember him going after a fly ball in Dodger stadium (I think) where he went over the outfield railing and seemed to disappear into the stands. Sadly, he didn't catch the ball, but I don't think he was seriously injured either.


Bob Beall is also not to be confused with the similarly named and bespectacled long-time Pirate hurler Bob Veale.



2 comments:

  1. Came to the Braves from the Phillies for one if my favorite old-time Braves, Gil Garrido.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that Gil never played for the Phillies in the minors or majors. At least Bob had a few good minor league seasons with Richmond during the late 70's.

    ReplyDelete