Wednesday, November 19, 2014

TONY GONZALEZ

ALPHABETIC LIST OF
THE 50 BRAVES PLAYERS OF THE 1970'S
WHO DIDN'T MAKE MY ORIGINAL 
100 FAVORITE PLAYER LIST

#19 TONY GONZALEZ
ATLANTA BRAVES 1969-1970

I didn't follow the Braves in 1970, but if I did I'm sure I would have included Tony Gonzalez on my 100 list. The Braves got the veteran player from the Padres in 1969 for the pennant run. He was a key acquisition, knocking in fifty runs and batting .294 in a little over half a season with the team. And they won the division! And Tony did great in the playoffs, hitting a home run off of Tom Seaver in game one of the playoffs for the first post season home run in Atlanta Braves history. He hit .357 for that series. If the rest of the team had played up to Tony's level, the Braves might have played the Orioles in the 1969 World Series.

Tony was sold to the Angels midway through the 1970 season.

Even though I never remember seeing Tony play for the Braves,
I did have several copies of his 1970 TOPPS card.

Tony Gonzalez of the Atlanta Falcons-
No relation to Tony Gonzalez of
the Atlanta Braves


No comments:

Post a Comment