Thursday, November 27, 2014

BOB JOHNSON

ALPHABETIC LIST OF
THE 50 BRAVES PLAYERS OF THE 1970'S
WHO DIDN'T MAKE MY ORIGINAL 
100 FAVORITE PLAYER LIST

#27 BOB JOHNSON
ATLANTA BRAVES 1977

I primarily remember Bob Johnson as a member of the Pirates World Series team in 1971. I usually try to dig up a picture of these players with the Braves, but I had so many of Bob's '71 TOPPS card, this is the forever image I have of the guy.

His fifteen game Braves career in 1977, were the last fifteen games he pitched in the majors. He never won, saved or even started during any of those games and finished the season with a 7.25 ERA.

There is one more image I have of Bob. In my scapbook of Brave newspaper articles from 1972, I have this one below of Bob being felled by a Ralph Garr line drive.


I couldn't remember if Bob got up to pitch any more that game since I didn't have the full article, but thanks to Baseball Reference, I can now verify that it did knock Johnson out of that May 10, 1972 game in the second inning. Phew! Glad to straighten that one out at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment