Sunday, April 5, 2015

#109 BRIAN ASSELSTINE

FAVORITE BRAVES PLAYERS OF THE 1980'S
#109 BRIAN ASSELSTINE
ATLANTA BRAVES 1976-1981



AND ON THE LIST WITHIN A LIST...
COMING IN AT #7 ON THE
"BRAVES GUYS I INCLUDED IN THE 70'S LIST AND WASN'T GOING TO INCLUDE ON THE 80'S LIST BUT NOW I HAVE TO SINCE I DECIDED TO LIST EVERY SINGLE PLAYER THAT WORE A BRAVES UNIFORM DURING THE 1980'S"

After winning the starting outfield job for the Braves in the late 70's, Brian injured himself in the Atlanta Stadium fence chasing after a fly ball. He missed all of the 1979 season before coming back to hit .284 in the 1980 season. Brian's final major league homer was a game winning three-run shot against the Mets and Mike Scott on August 19, 1981. I don't think Brian would have been a big star, but I always thought it was a shame his career was shortened by a hustling injury.

When I think of baseball players whose careers were
cut short by injuries, the first name I think of
is usually the Dodgers (and Indians) "Pistol" Pete Reiser.
Maybe that's just from my reading
about his plight in More Strange but True Baseball Stories.





No comments:

Post a Comment